Confessions from Fans of The Pioneer Woman

The Cheaping Girls and The Pioneer Woman. I don't like to smile with my teeth anymore. Maybe it's just a phase, I don't know. Also, could I be sticking my butt out any further in this picture???

Have we ever talked about Mom's recipe addiction? She spends lots of time each week perusing the web and magazines and talking to people about new yummy recipes to try. Every Sunday Mom whips up an insanely good meal and most Sunday's you'll find a ream of paper sitting on her countertop with stacks and stacks of recipes that she's printed out that week. Most Sunday's you'll also find us sitting around, groaning, bellies aching because we've had altogether too much to eat. Mom has officially moved into multiple 5" 3-ring binders for her recipes. Oh, and we have little patience for people that won't share their recipes (unless you are making money off of those recipes, of course). But really, why are some people so stingy about that? Food is love and we love love love to share our favorite recipes with our friends.

All of us (MWM included) love The Pioneer Woman. The Pioneer Woman was a city girl that ended up married to a Cattle rancher in Oklahoma (Exciting News! She is writing a book about their love story. But I digress...). We love her hilarious slice-of-life-on-the-ranch stories, her beautiful photographs and most of all her RECIPES.

The MWM secretly wishes Mom would wake up one day and run off with him to a big cattle ranch and leave all of her Ross's behind. Mom isn't going to do that, but she does keep all of our bellies happy with The Pioneer Woman's amazing and delicious food. We were all excited that The Pioneer Woman wrote a cookbook and even MORE excited when she announced a book tour with a stop at our very own King's English book store.

We arrived EARLY (this is a feat, especially for me), queued up and got tickets to have our cookbooks signed by the one and only Pioneer Woman. Here are some highlights from our evening:

- The King's English is next door to Mazza (Go eat there. Go right now.) So we had Mazza's incredible French Fries and tart and tangy lime-ades while we waited in line. Yum!

- The Pioneer woman is LOVELY. Great hair. Great skin. Very tall. Very funny. She has a nice warm happy glow all around her. She is friendly. She is funny, did I mention that? She does a mean Ethel Merman impression.

- The Pioneer woman had her sister in law and mother in law with her. They were both lovely too. All three of them had on great boots. The MWM would be proud. Her sister in law was wearing a very cool bracelet, which she had picked up at the Banana Republic at the Gateway. Note to self: Get to a Banana Republic ASAFP.

- We waited in line for a couple of hours to have our book signed, so I of course picked up a few impulse buys. I fell in love with this book called Wag! by Patrick McDonnell:


It made me smile and I wanted to give my dog Lucy a big belly rub and a treat and a long walk.

It was a really fun evening and I'm excited to read my cookbook. Yes, READ it. The Pioneer Woman has added in some great color commentary and stories along with her recipes and each recipe features her step by step photographs and mouth watering descriptions, which is great for "aspirational" cooks like me.

If you haven't tried any of her recipes, here are some that CANNOT be missed:

Spicy Shrimp - I can't even tell you how many times we've had this as a kick-off to dinner. SO UNBELIEVABLY GOOD.

Apple Dumplings - Yes, have that 2nd one. You know you want it. But the 3rd one is over the top. Trust me, I've made this mistake again and again.

Marlboro Man's Second Favorite Sandwich - Not the most simple sandwich, but definitely the most delicious. Eat this one slowly. SAVOR.

Olive Cheese Bread - Garlic. Cheese. Olives. Bread. What more is there to say?

Cheese Muffins - I could seriously eat 10 or 20 of these in a single sitting.

Bon Appetit!!!

5 comments:

Kate said...

I was wondering if you guys were going to be going to that. Of course! :) I must get her book.

Kate said...

You got a picture with her!!! Janaan thank you so much for getting my book signed. I was totally dumb and had no clue i needed a ticket so was in line for almost 2 hrs before i gave up. Sadness and tragedy. Her recipes are amazing though and i'm excited to read my cookbook.

Stina said...

love your bangs Janaan!

Seth & Kirie said...

Ha! I was there...and I was also standing directly behind you in the gallery (unless there was another woman wearing the same one). I know this because I was checking out your gray headband :) Crazy night.

Kim said...

love this picture of the 3 of you {oh and the pioneer woman} you all look fabulous!
I also loved spending some time at Natalie's last week.....oh and did I tell you my sista and I think your MM {Marlboro Man} is the coolest! Sorry, I couldn't think of a better word to describe him, and now that I am reading this comment it does sound cheesy, but you guys are a great couple :)