Ask The Cheaping Girls: New Music

Hello!

This question comes from my friend Bethany:

I need new music. What are you listening to right now? What new stuff or new to you stuff have you heard/purchased lately? I would love some inspiration.

I buy music all of the time and now that I can buy a song right on my iPhone I’m getting a wee bit out of control. Some people have 'the latte factor', I have 'the iTunes factor'.

I am the first to admit that my music tastes are a bit random. I have no problem spending $0.99 on a popular song that I like for just a little while or gets my feet tapping or my heart racing during a workout. I call these ‘Disposable Tunes’.

Then there are the rare gems that you find by hearing just a little ditty on a commercial or movie trailer on an episode of Gossip Girl or CSI (by far the two best shows on TV when it comes to music finds). These songs often lead me down a path to other great songs or to full album purchases. These I’ll call ‘Diamonds in the Rough’.

I rarely buy an entire album. I complete my album if I like more than 3 or 4 songs on it, or if someone I trust has recommended it to me. If I've recommended an album below, it is because I really love the entire album and I want to listen to it forever and ever and ever and ever. Entire albums transport me to specific times in my life that I want to remember. These I’ll call my ‘True Loves’.

I like instant gratification so I buy all of my music from iTunes. And yes, Shazam is about the coolest thing ever!

Shazam


All of that said, here are my music picks from the last few months. Enjoy!


XOXO,

Natalie


True Loves


Coldplay: Viva la Vida
Coldplay - Viva la Vida

Coldplay: Viva la Vida Prospekt's March Edition

Coldplay - Viva la Vida (Prospekt's March Edition)

Elbow: Seldom Seen Kid

Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid

Kings of Leon: Only by the Night

Kings of Leon - Only By the Night (Deluxe Version)

Slumdog Millionare Motion Picture Soundtrack

A. R. Rahman & Madhumitha - Slumdog Millionaire (Music from the Motion Picture)

Garden State Soundtrack (I know, I'm a bit late to the game on this one, but this is a lovely album)

Simon & Garfunkel - Garden State (Music from the Motion Picture)

Foo Fighters: Echoes Silence Patience and Grace

Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

Foo Fighters: Skin and Bones (Yeah, I’m going through a bit of a Foo phase right now)

Foo Fighters - Skin and Bones

Rocknrolla Soundtrack

Various Artists - Rocknrolla (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)


Diamonds in the Rough


Death Cab for Cutie: Pity and Fear

Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs - Pity and Fear

Depeche Mode: Wrong

Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe - Wrong

Bloc Party: Biko

Bloc Party - Intimacy - Biko

Bloc Party: Signs

Bloc Party - Intimacy - Signs

MGMT: Kids

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular - Kids

MGMT: Time to Pretend

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular - Time to Pretend

Peter Bjorn and John: Amsterdam

Peter Bjorn and John - Writer's Block - Amsterdam

Peter Bjorn and John: Young Folks

Peter Bjorn and John - Writer's Block - Young Folks

Death Cab For Cutie: Brothers on a Hotel Bed

Death Cab for Cutie - Plans - Brothers On a Hotel Bed

DeVotchKa: The Clockwise Witness

DeVotchKa - A Mad and Faithful Telling - The Clockwise Witness

The National: Slow Show

The National - Boxer - Slow Show

Silversun Pickups: Lazy Eye

Silversun Pickups - Carnavas - Lazy Eye

Vampire Weekend: A-Punk

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend - A-Punk

Smashing Pumpkins: The Beginning is the End is the Beginning

Smashing Pumpkins - Rarities and B-Sides - The Beginning Is the End Is the Beginning

EP: I Can Make You Feel It

Home Video - It Will Be OK - EP - I Can Make You Feel It



Disposable Tunes

Asher Roth: I Love College

Asher Roth - I Love College - Single - I Love College

Kid Cudi: Day 'n' Nite

Kid Cudi - Day 'n' Nite - EP - Day 'n' Nite

Lady GaGa: Poker Face

Lady GaGa - The Fame - Poker Face

T.I.: Dead and Gone

T.I. - Paper Trail (Deluxe Version) - Dead and Gone (feat. Justin Timberlake)

The Ting Tings: That's Not My Name

The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing - That's Not My Name

Santigold: Creator

Santigold vs. Switch and FreQ Nasty - Santigold - Creator

Santigold: Shove It

Santigold - Santigold - Shove It (feat. Spank Rock)

Soulja Boy Tell 'Em: Crank That (Soulja Boy Tell 'Em) Travis Barker Remix (This is my favorite favorite new workout song. Be sure to get the Travis Barker Remix though)

Soulja Boy Tell 'Em - Crank That (Soulja Boy) [Travis Barker Remix] - Single - Crank That (Soulja Boy) [Travis Barker Remix]

Taylor Swift: You’re Not Sorry (CSI Remix)

Taylor Swift - You're Not Sorry (CSI Remix) - Single - You're Not Sorry (CSI Remix)

Pitbull: I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)

Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) - EP - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) [More English Extended Mix]

Right Round: Flo Rida

Flo Rida - Right Round - Single - Right Round

0 comments: