We're Cukoo for Bukoos (OK, Cukoo-ish...)


On Saturday we finally made our way up to Bukoos. I don't know how we heard about it, all I know is that Mom and Janaan said that they'd pick me up at 10:30 and they were totally on time and looking so so cute and I was of course totally running late and my hair was wet and I did my make-up in the car and was in a shame spiral about my outfit...but I guess that's all beside the point...

How do I describe Bukoos? It's weird. It has EVERYTHING. It's cleaner than NPS (another local shopping haunt). It's a Cheaping Girls dream...well dream-ish.

Why do I say dream-ish?? Well, we found out that Bukoos is shutting down in March. So if you live in Salt Lake you have a month to trek up to Farmington to check this place out. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Go straight to Bukoos.

Like all of the places we shop, Bukoos has insane good deals, but definite drawbacks:

Insane Good Deals

- FAUCETS for $60 - $100!! In addition to the kitchen faucet that we all bought, I also bought a GORGEOUS faucet for my bathroom.

- Cutest Ed Hardy Skull T-Shirt EVER for $35 (KK, I know you hate Ed Hardy, and for the most part I agree with you on this point, but I think you would approve of this shirt)

- A long long DKNY puffy coat for $60. It's kind of a "Mom-Coat" (no offense to Mom's out there...you know what I mean, right?) but I've been looking for something like this all winter for taking Lucy out in the middle of the night to go wee. Now I can be in my PJ's and NO ONE will ever know. HA HA HA HA HA! (Insert evil laugh here.)

- Via Spiga shoes for $10.

- A Weaver brand horse bit for $7. The MWM is a 'Tack Man' and we bought it for him as kind of a joke, but he said it's probably worth about $50.

- Oakley Snow Goggles for $60. Now I have everything I need to start snowboarding, which probably means I won't go for a couple of seasons.

- This lovely beaded light fixture for Janaan's nursery for $27. YES!! $27!! It's $89.99 on Overstock.com


And those are just a few things we couldn't live with out. Yes, I know, in the Suze Orman sense of the word we could have lived without all of these things. BUT...well....I digress...

Definite Drawbacks

- Customer service is AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. It's hard to find someone that works there, and when you do, they are not very friendly or helpful.

- If there is no price tag on an item, they will not sell it to you.

- There aren't enough shopping carts. When we arrived all of the shopping carts were taken and we had to sit at the end of the check stand and stalk people until we could grab one. And they don't have cart returns in the parking lot.

- Their pricing system takes some getting used to. Basically each tag has a different color, each color represents a different discount level. When the item arrives it is tagged at the lowest discount (40%) The longer the item has been there, the steeper the discount gets. Depending on what day you're there, the discount level associated with that color changes. There are four possible wheels to choose from. It's mildly amusing until you've been in there for 90 minutes and you're hot and thirsty and hungry and your cart is overflowing and you can't get down the aisles and you have to pull out #$%! paper for like the 50th time to see what red means that day.

Bukoos has regular auctions at their Salt Lake City warehouse (this is where items with no price tag go) and this is where they will be sending all of the inventory when the Farmington store closes.

We're only aware of this location, but we've heard that there is one somewhere near Las Vegas too.

Bukoos

1313 North Highway 89

Farmington ~ Utah ~ 84025

801-451-7897

Note: Bukoos is closed on Sunday and Monday and is only open until 3:00 PM on Friday.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

It's me...again! We live like 2 minutes from Bukoos. Rich and I love to go to that store and see what "treasures" we can find. I had NO idea they were closing in March! Bummer. If you all make it up this way again, you are welcome to stop in!

Kate said...

i used to work there...well not at Bukoos but for the company that runs it. That stuff has a very interesting journey to the shelf i'll tell you that. And yeah it's scary how much time and money i spent there. Found some great things though. My best finds were beautiful baby clothes by a designer in Paris. I got a $120 outfit for $15, i was very happy. Now i just need kids...