New Year's Shopping at The Flying J

I love love love to stop at the Flying J whenever I go on a road trip. They always have large, fairly clean bathrooms and it's fun to walk up and down the aisles to see all of the useful products created for truckers. And where else can you find Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark, Holographic Posters of Woodland Creatures and Small Animals, Gigantic Shot Glasses, Utility Knives and Diet Green Tea all in the same convenient roadside location?

While on a road trip to Bear Lake for New Year's we stopped at the Flying J in Evanston, Wyoming. We did not buy beer or fireworks (which is what most Utahans buy in Evanston) but I DID SPY the sweet 'Butt Bucket' and the 'Spit Bucket' (pictured below). Now, I appreciate a bit of marketing genius when I see it. These are just opaque black cups with a lid, but they are positioned as specialty products designed to hide all of the nasty leftovers of your tobacco habits and to keep your truck or car nice and tidy. Genius. Yours for just $2.99 each.



Another thing I love to do is buy random CD's at the Flying J to listen to (and more importantly, to sing along with at the top of my lungs) on the road. This time we had great luck with: #1 Hits of Disco, BIGGER Booty Hits (yes, this does imply there was a disc called 'Booty Hits' but we couldn't find it at this particular Flying J), 80's Hits Stripped (all acoustic versions of 80's classics), Maniac: 80's Workout, and Time to Chill: Lounge (which was my favorite).

Perhaps the best part of all of this is that you learn things about yourself at the Flying J. Like, that you are strangely attracted to Dickey's brand coats, that you never knew how much you liked Beef Jerky, and that you know all the words to Whatta Man AND Pumps and a Bump AND Jesse's Girl AND I'm So Excited...and I just can't hide it! No no no! I'm about to lose control and I think I like it! Oh Yeah!! 

For a list of Flying J locations click here

0 comments: