An American Girl

Growing up I loved the American Girl stories. I read all the adventures of the original American Girls: Felicity, Kirsten, Samantha and Molly. And, one Christmas each of my friends and I all got a different doll to call our own. Kirsten was my doll of choice and she is now safely stowed away for a future time.

This weekend I was playing with my niece and she got an American Girl catalog in the mail. It brought back so many fun memories. But while flipping through, I noticed in the catalog that it said after more than 20 years, the American Girl Samantha will soon say farewell.

They are not going to sell her anymore! Immediately I wanted to get her out of sentiment for my childhood. But the question I must ask is, is it silly to buy a $90 doll when the economy stinks and you currently have no daughters to pass them down to? And, if I buy her, am I starting down a dangerous path to doll collecting. Will Marie Osmond dolls be next?! I don't know what to do, but I have been thinking about it for three days now which is usually a sign for me that I won't be able to rest till I've made the purchase...

3 comments:

Chad and Amy said...

Hey, this is Amy (Bo), I love your blog! Our neighbor gave Abby her magazine. Abby is officially obsessed with the dolls. I too have a tough time justifying $90+ for a doll. Did you love yours when you were a child? Do you feel it was worth it?

Janaan said...

I really loved mine. I was really into the books, so it was a lot of fun to have my own doll. So much fun that at a much older age I'm thinking of buying another... I hope Kelli and/or Jenny will comment too and let you know if they loved theirs as much.

Amander said...

Wow, that is devastating news. Samantha was always my favorite. I would totall spend the $90 for it, but that's just me :)