Are You Peddling Beauty Products?

Your skin is the largest organ in your body. My skin, unfortunately, is dry (and I mean bone-dry), sensitive and prone to breaking out into hives at a moment’s notice. It doesn’t help that I’m allergic to basically every living creature (plant or animal) on this planet. Oh, did I forget to mention I've always had a bit of eczema? Oh, did also I forget to mention that I developed cystic adult acne in my late twenties? What a fun and sexy time for me!!

As you might guess, trying new skin lotions and potions has been like a hobby, or rather a quest for the Holy Grail or maybe I’m just REALLY susceptible to good marketing. In any case, last year I spent about $800 on the OBAGI system and $200 on a Zeno, and let's just say I don't look like any of the celebrities I was assured used these products. And let’s also just say that a seven step skin care regimen is a bit much, especially in these times of restricted liquids and gels on airplanes.

My Cheaping Mom has found a BRILLIANT dermatologist. She is sssssoooooo cute and has lived in New York and San Francisco and has perfect skin and we LLLLOOOVVVEEE to talk to her. I told her about my OBAGI/ZENO buyer’s remorse and she produced a handy list of drugstore items that she says are just as good as the expensive stuff. My skin looks better than ever using these items in addition to prescription topical medications. I have recreated the list of cleansers, moisturizers and sun blocks for you below.

A few additional side notes from Cutie Dermatologist:
1. If you have acne, especially cystic acne, GO SEE A DERMATOLOGIST. None of the promises made on the beautiful packages at spas and department stores will cure your acne. Trust me, I have tried everything AND I work in marketing.
2. Facials are a waste of money (this little tip has saved me LOADS). She says that if a facial makes you feel good and relaxed, that is just fabulous, but it’s not really doing anything for your skin.
3. Microdermabrasion definitely works, but only for a very short period of time, so save up and microderm your brains out right before that next big high-school reunion.

OILY SKIN

CLEANSERS
CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser for Normal to Oily Skin
Coast
Dial
Irish Spring
Lifebuoy
Liquid Dial
Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash
Safeguard
Softsoap Antibacterial
Zest

MOISTURIZERS
Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture Sensitive Skin
Olay Complete All Day UV Moisture (Oily/Normal)
Olay Total Effects 7x Visible Anti-Aging Vitamin Complex Fragrance Free (Oily/Normal)

SUNBLOCK – BODY
Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion SPF 45
Dermatone Sunscreen Lotion with Z-Cote

SUNBLOCK – FACE
Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion SPF 45
Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion SPF 30
Neutrogena Ultrasheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55 (with Helioplex)
SolBar Zinc SPF 38

NORMAL SKIN

CLEANSERS
Aveeno Moisturizing Bar
Aveeno Positively Radiant Cleanser
Aveeno Ultra-Calming Cleaner
CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser for Normal to Oily Skin
Ivory
Jergens Mild Soap
Lever 2000
Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar
Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser
Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar
Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash

MOISTURIZERS
Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer SPF 30
Aveeno Skin Brightening Daily Treatment SPF 15
CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion
Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 15 (Normal/Dry)
Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream (Normal/Dry)
Eucerin Redness Relief Daily Perfecting Lotion SPF 15 (Normal/Mildly Dry)
Neutrogena Intensified Day Moisture SPF 15
Olay Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid (Normal/Dry)
Olay Complete All Day UV Moisture (Normal/Oily)
Olay Complete All Day UV Moisture (Normal/Oily)
Olay Total Effects 7x Visible Anti-Aging Vitamin Complex Fragrance Free (Normal/Oily)
Purpose Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion SPF 15

SUNBLOCK – BODY
Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion SPF 45
Dermatone Sunscreen Lotion with Z-Cote

SUNBLOCK – FACE
Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion SPF 45
Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion SPF 30
Neutrogena Ultrasheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55 (with Helioplex)
SolBar Zinc SPF 38

DRY SKIN

CLEANSERS
Caress Moisturizing Bar
CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar
Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
Dove Beauty Bar
Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser
Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser
Olay Gentle Foaming Face Wash
Olay Moisturizing Bar for Dry Skin
Tone

MOISTURIZERS
Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer SPF 15
CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 15 (Dry/Normal)
Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream (Dry/Normal)
Eucerin Redness Relief Daily Perfecting Lotion SPF 15 (Mildly Dry/Normal)
Eucerin Original Moisturizing Cream (Very Dry)
Olay Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid (Dry/Normal)
Olay Regenerist
Purpose Redness Reducing Moisturizer with SPF 30
Vanicream Lite Lotion
Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream (Very Dry)

SUNBLOCK – BODY
Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion SPF 45
Dermatone Sunscreen Lotion with Z-Cote

SUNBLOCK – FACE
Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion SPF 45
Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion SPF 30
Neutrogena Ultrasheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55 (with Helioplex)
SolBar Zinc SPF 38

6 comments:

Jodi Palmer said...

You have just described my skin exactly. I have eczema right now and have been looking for a dermatologist. Would it be cool if you emailed me her information? I bought the zeno also didn't notice a change. The little burn in the beginning was always a nice bonus.

Cheaping Girls said...

For sure! I'll email you her contact info today.

Kate said...

Oh bless your soul for this list. I might cry. And I won't be ashamed for the Garnier Fructis face wash I've been using. I actually like it.

tmsolsen said...

Yes - I need to know this woman's name! Which products are you specifically using?!? Your skin sounds like mine! Please let me know. Thanks!

Karen said...

I know this is an older post, but I was just grabbing all your skincare posts for my coworker, who was complaining about her cracking skin. Anyway, I just wanted to add that I started using Nature's Gate products a little while and it has virtually eliminated my acne problems!

I promise I have no ties to the company, just like spreading success stories with products! Everything I tried before that (Clean & Clear, Cetaphil, Proactive, you name it) didn't work. This list is super helpful, thanks so much!

Cheaping Girls said...

Thanks Karen, we'll be sure to check those products out.